Sunday, November 11, 2012

Crewel (Crewel World #1) by Gennifer Albin




Year published: 2012
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Pages: 360
Source: Faber & Faber/NetGalley
Ratings: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing


Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.
Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.

From many titles of dystopian stories I have read so far, this is probably the most unique, original, complex, and kinda creepy dystopian story I ever read.

It has its highs, lows, and a bit "What?!" moments.. Yup, dystopian story in the so called illusion world named Arras where a girl can weave time (or something else too).

It has dazzled me couple of times. I really enjoyed reading this story. The dystopian-world, the characters, the development, the romance, the friendship, etc etc..

I am not going to give away spoilers or hints of the story, so let me share what I feel regarding on this story.

First, I had to struggle a bit to catch up with the world setting in this story, it was not exactly hard to grab thou, but I just have a tiny little issue with it. It was set in a dystopian world (you can say a bit of THG, Legend, or Divergent way of sectors set), but a bit more complex in a way than any other dystopian books I've read. It felt like the government has two main bodies, one was the one that control everything and the other one that maintain everything. These two were connected (again) in a quite complicated kind of relationship. Well, this description is a little bit vague, but trust me.. there is more to this description in the story. This is only the very general one. I think the focus of this book was more into the story of this girl named Adelice who was taken to be Spinster that turned out to be the next Creweler of Arras which was working at the Coventry that exactly the one that maintain everything. And the story goes, she (with some others) found that there was more cruelties and dirty secrets in Arras than what met the eyes.

Second, in every dystopian story, there is a story of revolution. Not so much of revolution actions in this first book of Crewel World series. It was mentioned a couple of times and a little bit tell-telling of past actions of it. This first book (for me) basically only telling me about what is Arras and how to get out of it.

Third, relationships. Either it's romantic or friendships. Adelice found friendships and love-triangle (or not) with men (two) at the coventry. But there were also story of hate relationships with some of other characters in the book. I think, the way Gennifer told the stories of there relationships was organic and felt natural. Then there were also facts about these characters and some were revealed at the end of the book. Well, everything happened for a reason. I can't say much or I will reveal everything.

Fourth, the development of the story. There were secrets also facts and the story was moving forward as those secrets and facts revealed one by one. Wow, this was the part I started to say "what?!" when new things came up.

In general, it was pretty entertaining and enjoyable read. Like I said earlier, it has to be one of the most original dystopian stories I ever read. The world-setting was quite awestruck me a bit. Like I was so overwhelmed with everything that happened. I meant it was complex and twisted. But really, I think you guys who read this post should read this so you can understand what I am trying to say. The concept is so unique. I felt like I am speechless now.


Check out its other cover (personally I prefer this one below ~just saying xp~)




No comments:

Post a Comment