Monday, December 31, 2012

Book-Reviews December 2012: Classics and Modern Classic

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Publisher: Modern Library
Year Published: 2001 (Book), 1811 (first published)
Pages: 282
Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

Published in 1811, Sense and Sensibility has delighted generations of readers with its masterfully crafted portrait of two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Forced to leave their home after their father's death, Elinor and Marianne must rely on making good marriages as their means of support. But unscrupulous cads, meddlesome matriarchs, and various guileless and artful women impinge on their chances for love and happiness. The novelist Elizabeth Bowen wrote, "The technique of [Jane Austen's novels] is beyond praise....Her mastery of the art she chose, or that chose her, is complete."

This Modern Library Paperback Classics edition contains a new Introduction by Pulitzer Prize finalist David Gates, in addition to new explanatory notes.


I am not so sure how to review a classic work.. I didn't even consider to put classic books reviews on my blog, because I think classic works need more comprehensive and deeper analysis >.< and I think I was not confidence/qualified enough to do it.. But it doesn't mean that I do not enjoy classic or modern classic books. They are so good! some of them are even my all time favorites! So now I am giving myself a shot to do reviews of them. Well, I need to start at some point.. So..... here it goes..


Reading JA's (Jane Austen) works always amused me.. Now the only JA's books that I haven't read are Persuasion and Emma. Persuasion is definitely in my TBR for January 2013 :)

I really like this book, but it is not my most fave JA's books. So far my fave JA book is still Mansfield Park which I read about two years ago.. Sense and Sensibility was a thin book of classic romance drama of the Dashwood sisters, Marrianne and Elinor. The drama was a very common typical classic romance, family, and customary drama (well all of JA's books are). 


I enjoyed the story a whole lot! It was well-developed and paced. It had some dramatic moments, then it had also some wow factors where we learned quite shocking facts about some of the suitors for the ladies, really scandalous (at the time).


The characters of the main-ladies, Marrianne and Elianor were so different, it was really refreshing to see how these two sisters had different approaches on their romantic drama. Marrianne, who was more spontaneous and passionate, then we also have Elianor who was always pretty sensible and logical. It was definitely intersting to see these two sisters in their own drama.

My fave characters in this book were Colonel Brandon and Elinor Dashwood.. <3 <3 <3

I just wished that there were more details in relationship-stories of Edward Ferrar and Elinor Dashwood, Richard Ferrar and Lucy Steele (this relationship in my opinion needed more explanations), John Willoughby and Marianne Dashwood, and lastly, Colonel Brandon and Marianne <3

I have watched the Movie Adaptation and I really recommend everyone to watch it, because they did a very great movie adaptation of the book. If you do not want to read the book, you can just watch the movie, it was just perfect. Almost all (or all) of the scenes in the book were captured perfectly well in it. I strongly recommend you to watch the movie (1995) where Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, and Hugh Grant in it.



Complete Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens

Publisher: Wordsworth Classics
Year Published: 1997 (Book), 1866 (First Published)
Pages: 329
Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

Interest in supernatural phenomena was high during Charles Dickens' lifetime. He had always loved a good ghost story himself, particularly at Christmas time, and was open-minded, willing to accept, and indeed put to the test, the existence of spirits.
His natural inclinations toward drama and the macabre made him a brilliant teller of ghost tales, and in the twenty stories presented here, which include his celebrated A Christmas Carol, the full range of his gothic talents can be seen.
Chilling as some of these stories are, Dickens has managed to inject characteristically grotesque comedy as he writes of revenge, insanity, pre-cognition and dream visions, he indulges also in some debunking of contemporary credulity.


What a joyful and mildly scary collection of short stories this book was.. ;)

This book contains 20 short ghost stories by Charles Dickens, including "Christmas Carol". I have to say that this book is a really awesome seasonal book to read in December. If the Christmas or December hasn't yet (almost) over, I would recommend people to read this during the month or just buy it as a christmas present. It's really a great book to have.

There are five stories that I really like (a lot). They are "A Madman's Manuscript", "A Christmas Carol", "To be read at Dusk", "Four Ghost Stories", and "The Portrait Painter's Story". These five stories are my absolute favorites! Very rereadable! and great stories to read whether in Halloween or Christmas time.. or just anytime we wish for short and quick bedtime stories..


Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Year Published: 2012 (Book), 1953 (First Published)
Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing

Ray Bradbury’s internationally acclaimed novel Fahrenheit 451is a masterwork of twentieth-century literature set in a bleak, dystopian future. Guy Montag is a fireman. In his world, where television rules and literature is on the brink of extinction, firemen start fires rather than put them out. His job is to destroy the most illegal of commodities, the printed book, along with the houses in which they are hidden.

Montag never questions the destruction and ruin his actions produce, returning each day to his bland life and wife, Mildred, who spends all day with her television “family.” But then he meets an eccentric young neighbor, Clarisse, who introduces him to a past where people didn’t live in fear and to a present where one sees the world through the ideas in books instead of the mindless chatter of television.

When Mildred attempts suicide and Clarisse suddenly disappears, Montag begins to question everything he has ever known. He starts hiding books in his home, and when his pilfering is discovered, the fireman has to run for his life.


Oh Wow!It's a thin modern classic dystopian story book, probably one of some earlier dystopian works. It got me to think and grateful for a lot of things.. 

I have read quite few of recent-dystopian books, but this book (in my opinion) is the scariest (so far).. I can't imagine to live in the world like that where people couldn't feel.. I think it was like the most terrible-state to be..I enjoyed and loved the story.. The ending is kinda open-ended, but I like it.. Most of modern classics books that I have read so far have this kind of ending..

Everything was well built; the characters, the story, the plot, the setting.. I personally have no problem with the contents. Somehow, this book made me think about a lot of things, like I have mentioned earlier. It's fantastic, I have no words to describe it.

Now, I am really curious with some other dystopian modern classic books such as 1984 by George Orwell or A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.. Those book are also in my TBR for 2013.. So excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment