Thursday, December 20, 2012

Series Review: The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Years Published: 2007-2010
Publisher: Razor Bill
Total books in the series: six (in order: Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound, and Last Sacrifice)
Collective Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it it was amazing (my current rating)

synopsis taken from the first book "Vampire Academy":

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.



So I have mentioned on my review of Last Sacrifice on GR that I would make a collective review for this series.. hehe.. and here they are..

I would say that TVA series is definitely a Mandatory YA Book-Series to read! It's just super super super good! and I think I am glad that I started reading it when the series is finished.. I don't think I could bear the thrilling anticipation of it..

This book is set during the modern-human time where the vampire races kinda hide from the human world and only selective few of humans know about the existence of the vampire world. But let's not talk about human world, coz this mundane world was kinda oblivious to the story. The setting of the vampire world in this series was also very unique and original, there were two races of vampire, one was the living-vampire called Moroi who in a way rule the vampire world and the other one was the dead-vampire called Strigoi (who basically everything evil vampires that we all are familiar with). And also there was this unique race called Dhampir (who basically the result of intimacy between Moroi and Dhampir OR Moroi and Human)and they are kinda the protector or guardian or just basically bodyguard to the Moroi. Moroi world was just everything you can imagine from a monarchy government, there were Queen/King, Princesses, Princes, Royal Family, etc etc. So imagine with the monarchy vampire world setting came the political drama.. yes.. imagine the modern Tudors with vampire and magic.. voila! 

I love the setting a lot! It's totally unique and refreshing! The intrigue and drama evolved as the story went. and as for the characters, there were Rose and Lissa who were the main focus of this series. The series was telling from Rose POV. She was a Dhampir who would be assigned to be Lissa's guardian, a Moroi royalty. They were bestfriends (forever). Rose would do anything for Lissa and the feeling was mutual. And in each books, their characters and dramas evolved. New secrets revealed and it seemed that danger and problem were their middle name. Then come other characters such as Christian, Dimitri, Adrian, Mia, Eddie, Mason, Janine, Sydney, Abe, Victor, and so many more... I just love them all! Richelle really did amazing work in developing these awesome characters. They were very unique and (here I say it again) refreshing! I laughed, screamed, yelled, scoffed, smiled, and cried (oh well, the last one, not really) with them.. But mostly laughed and scoffed.. hehe.. This is one of those series where the characters were just lovable and hatable depends on how you see it, I guess.. But mostly lovable..

Oh can I say how much I love Christian? I just LOVE everything that came out from his mouth.. Really world-class-snarky-person ever he was (along with Rose).. classy ;P

aaaah... how about the Romance.... Honestly, I think this is one of the most important key to the story... There were several love stories in the series.. The conflicted and full of drama one... the cute and affectionate one.. the loyal one.. the against-all-odds one (guess it's pretty much the theme of all love stories in this series).. Love triangle drama? (haha.. definitely).. The painful one.. hah.. I would just say that there were so much emotions involved in describing this romance department.. :)

Okay, so here is the highlight of what I love from this series:
"I love all banters and interactions between these characters.. love the plot.. love the development.. and lastly I LOVE the surprises (trust me, so many of this)"

I think that was as general as I can be to describe the general theme of this book. Not exactly in details, but I hope it's enough to prick your interest to read this series. Trust me it's worth to invest your time in reading this series. xp

Oh I almost forgot to mention that Richelle also writes the spin-off series of TVA called Bloodlines. Is it actually a spoiler if I mention the general review of Last Sacrifice (final book of TVA)? hmmm.. oh well, actually, the ending of Last Sacrifice still left a kinda open-questions and opportunities of anything good or bad can happen to the characters. It was TOTALLY INTENTIONAL from the writers to leave things as it was at the end of Last Sacrifice so we will pick up and read Bloodlines (yes yes, I will read this series next year). But don't worry coz of this..... You guys who haven't read TVA will have a good time in reading this series! hehe..

so read this series? ;) <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment