Sunday, September 2, 2012

Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver

Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Year Published: 2011
Pages: 307
Rating: didn't like it it was ok liked it really liked it (my current rating) it was amazing


Liesl lives in a tiny attic bedroom, locked away by her cruel stepmother. Her only friends are the shadows and the mice—until one night a ghost appears from the darkness. It is Po, who comes from the Other Side. Both Liesl and Po are lonely, but together they are less alone.

That same night, an alchemist’s apprentice, Will, bungles an important delivery. He accidentally switches a box containing the most powerful magic in the world with one containing something decidedly less remarkable.

Will’s mistake has tremendous consequences for Liesl and Po, and it draws the three of them together on an  extraordinary journey.

Wow.. At my current age, I do not usually read children book. Although, I believe that this book is not only dedicated for children, aite? Because I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Reading this was like reading stories within stories. There were several unfortunate events that seemed unrelated to each other, but in the greater scheme it did. How the people in it were tangled to each other through different occasions.

Each character in the book was really interesting. How different they were, but somehow they were connected. It seemed complex, but it was not. If I have children later in the future, I will make sure to make them read this. Ghost and Magic in a story is just like recipe for a good reading ;p

The illustration by Kei Acedera was also amazing. It was just exactly like what I imagined when I read this. Love it too <3

I also praise Lauren Oliver, on not specifically mentioning the time-frame of the story. It left me as a reader to imagine when the story took place. In my head, I thought it would be around the year 1800s (Charles Dickens period).

This book would be a classic children or young adult or adult story. I can not wait for her new book that will be released soon this year (if I am not mistaken) called "The Spindler". I am sure, it will be amazing too <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment